At the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) we try to match skills with job profiles with the aim of adding value to our staff's present and future careers.
Our staff members work under different types of contracts depending on their functions and expertise. Our working and contractual conditions are based on the Staff Regulations (SR) and the Conditions of Employment of other Servants of the European Communities (CEOS).
Our staff is made up of:
- European Union officials recruited through competitions organised by the European Personnel Selection Office (EPSO).
- Temporary agents recruited through direct selection procedures. These contracts may involve management or technical expertise.
- Contract agents. These contracts are often connected with project-specific administration.
We also offer internships to recent graduates.
In line with our staff policy, Temporary Agent contracts run for five years, with the possibility of renewal for another five years. Temporary agents are required to serve a nine-month probationary period.
Posts are classified according to nature of duties as:
- Administrator Function Group (AD), comprising twelve grades from AD5 to AD16 corresponding to technical, administrative, advisory, linguistic and scientific duties.
- Assistant Function Group (AST), comprising eleven grades from AST1 to AST11 corresponding to executive, technical and clerical duties.
The duration of employment for Contract Agents varies according to the needs of EUIPO. Contracts may be renewed for a second fixed-term period, depending on the duration of the activity or project to which the Contract Agent is assigned.
Posts are classified in four function groups (FG) corresponding to the duties and responsibilities involved, to be performed under the supervision of officials or temporary staff:
- FG IV: six grades corresponding to administrative, advisory, linguistic and equivalent technical tasks.
- FG III: five grades corresponding to executive tasks, drafting, accountancy and other equivalent technical tasks.
- FG II: four grades corresponding to clerical and secretarial tasks, office management and other equivalent tasks.
- FG I: three grades corresponding to manual and administrative support service tasks.
Contract agents with contracts for over a year are required to serve a probationary period of
- 6 months for FG I
- 9 months for FG FG II-IV
As a European Union Agency we offer competitive salaries along with a comprehensive welfare package and insurance coverage.
Staff members may also be entitled to certain allowances, such as an expatriation allowance (equal to 4% or 16% of the basic salary) for working in a country other than the one from which they were recruited or of which are nationals, or allowances for dependent children.
When you take up your duties we will, under certain conditions, cover travel and removal costs.
Check Regulation No 2016/C 466/07 to get an overview of the basic salary and allowances.
Read our ‘Choosing EUIPO' section for more information about whats it is like to work for EUIPO in Alicante.
Working at the EUIPO will broaden your experience and enrich your career. We offer our staff continuous learning opportunities, designed to ensure that we all develop our skills and acquire new ones as our roles expand.
New challenges and opportunities are constantly being created. Apart from the intellectual, cultural and linguistic melting pot of day-to-day work, we offer a wide range of specific training: you will have access to specific language, legal, management and technical courses to strengthen your understanding of your chosen field.
The EUIPO Academy coordinates all learning and educational activities, offering all staff a blend of tutored, face-to-face learning opportunities and a variety of desk-/home- based e-learning packages.