oktoober 27, 2014 news_website
Community trade mark applications will now be examined as soon as they are paid for
We are changing our examination workflow to increase efficiency
From November 24, OHIM will only examine trade mark applications and process any mail related to them after they are paid for. This means we can be more efficient as an Office, as we will no longer examine applications that ultimately will never be paid for.
OHIM is a European Union agency that serves businesses across the EU. We have a duty to all those who use our services to be as efficient as possible – and to pass those efficiency gains back to our users.
Historically 4% of the Community trade mark applications we receive are examined but not paid for – and this figure is increasing. That means we lose time and we lose efficiency.
By linking the examination of an application to its payment, we will be making sure that files that are paid for are treated in a timely manner and we will avoid examining files that will never be paid for.
Fast Track processing of trade mark applications
From November 24, and coinciding with this change, our users will have the option of having their applications published more quickly with our new "Fast Track" procedure, free of charge. The Fast Track means that the trade mark application will be published in half the time or less, as compared to regular applications.
The Fast Track also means no classification deficiencies – our users have to select their goods and services from a database of terms already accepted by OHIM and by almost all national intellectual property offices of the European Union.
For an application to qualify for, and remain in, Fast Track applicants need to, among other conditions:
- Select the goods and services from OHIM's harmonised database, which contains pre-validated and pre-translated terms.
- Pay at the end of the application process or immediately after submission.
Additionally, the application should not trigger any deficiency finding at the time of submission or during its examination by OHIM staff.
More details will be available soon. Check the news section of OHIM website or your User Area's news tab.
Frequently asked questions
- I would like my application to be examined as soon as I submit it, what can I do?
- I am a current account user, how can I pay before the end of the one-month period?
- Do I still have one month to pay for my application?
- If a deficiency is raised regarding my application, can I get my money back?
- How can my application be Fast Tracked?
- How do I know that my application has been put on the Fast Track?
- Can an application drop out of the Fast Track?