The European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) is a world-class organisation with global reach.
Our staff are drawn from the Member States of the European Union (EU) of the European Union (EU) and partners throughout the international community.
EUIPO, formerly known as OHIM, has been located in the vibrant city of Alicante since its creation in 1994.
Working at EUIPO is challenging. If we ask you to join us, we'll expect you to make a strong contribution from day one. Our organisational goals are outlined in our Strategic Plan, EUIPO's roadmap for the future. We're counting on you to help make our vision real and to develop fresh answers to new challenges.
Our core team is made up of close to 1 000 professionals working within the legal framework of the European Union Staff Regulations. We have five working languages: English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.
Our physical working environment has been designed to comply with the highest standards of quality, security and environmental performance. EUIPO is located in a campus-style complex, complete with surrounding landscaped areas and an auditorium with a capacity of 450 people,
Services available onsite
- Continuous personal assistance from Human Resources
- Legal advice on Spanish Law
- Social welfare officer
- Child psychologist at the European School
- Registration with the Spanish authorities
- Language Courses for partners/Spouses
- Help with opening a Spanish bank account
- Medical service
- Fitness centre
- Paddle and multisports courts
- Physiotherapy studio
For everyday life
- Self-service restaurant and cafeteria
- A la carte restaurant
- Library (with books and films in all EU official languages)
- International press kiosk and dry-cleaning service
- Supermarket collection point
- Electric-car charging station
- Campus with landscaped areas
Advantageous working conditions
At the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) we balance the need for efficient use of our resources against modern human resources policies that enable our staff to reconcile professional and family life. We offer
- Support with childcare: a European School was opened in Alicante to support staff moving to the city to work at EUIPO. Children from staff attending the school are exempt from school fees. Today, the school is a well-established centre of excellence, offering top-quality education in English, French, German and Spanish, as well as a pre-school nursery. Holiday camps and farm schools are organised during the school holidays.
- Flexible working arrangements: flexible working hours, part-time work and teleworking
- Annual leave: 24 days per year, with extra days possible depending on specific criteria
- Leisure and sports: a variety of leisure and sport clubs, which are open to everybody working at the Office
- Benefits for spouses: all EUIPO staff members' spouses are entitled to enjoy the benefits offered on our premises, for example by joining Spanish courses or using our onsite fitness centre
What you can find in Alicante
The vibrant city of Alicante is a regional capital and the ‘seat' of EUIPO. As well as its legendary beaches and perennial sunshine, our location offers newcomers a friendly, cosmopolitan lifestyle. The city of Alicante is well connected, with an international airport located 5 km south of EUIPO and 9 km southwest of the city, offering frequent direct connections to all major European capitals, as well as many regional and international destinations.
The social life in Alicante has something for everyone. For outdoor types, we are just 20 km from the mountains and peaks of the Sierra de Aitana, and the sea is never far away. Alicante is also a university city, offering all the cinemas, theatres and diversity of culture associated with a seat of learning.
For those who want to experience the culture, cuisine, language and heritage of Spain, the historic Roman port of Alicante is an excellent vantage point and the perfect place to start a journey.
Learn more about Alicante in